Thursday, May 25, 2017

Comparison Update on Cameras & Lenses

Update: I still have the Sigma DP3M, Leica D-Lux 4, Sony RX100V, Ricoh GR and Fuji X-T10 with 35mm F/2 Lens.  I recently bought the 23mm F/2 WR Lens, and am trying to get used to the 35mm focal length, I prefer 28mm and am used to it, but the 35mm was one of my favorites years ago, and I think it will take some time to get used to it again. Though I have a mix of cameras, each one has its purpose and focal length. I was trying to whittle it down to one system and various lenses, but I found that each system was annoying in some way and I just didn't want to invest too much in any of them for various reasons.

Sigma DP3M has an equivalent of a 75mm lens, good for portraits and product shots. Some people use it for macro, though it really is not a macro camera. Foveon sensor is unique and grabs the most detail of any camera I've used. It has 3 sensors, one on top of the other. hence the different, layered, 3D-looking files. Lots of detail. Looks like slide film. The Monochrome images are the best I've seen that are non-film. The 3 shots below were taken with the Sigma DP3M. Eats batteries, no EVF, slow to work, can shoot in low ISO only unless converted to B&W. Files fall apart even in B&W at 1600 ISO, so not good in low light at all. Best used on a tripod, but makes for a wonderful landscape camera if you are looking to pack small. Have to use the Sigma software to develop the TIFF files, but then can bring the files into Iridient Developer, Capture Pro or finally the dreaded Adobe Photoshop in the Cloud. (I luckily still  have CS6). I keep hearing that it's best not to use Adobe anything for these files (just like I hear it for Fuji), as their programs can't handle all the differences in the sensors for this Foveon and the Fuji's X-Trans. You be the judge. I use Photoshop CS6 because it's what I know. I can honestly say that this camera shows so much detail and layering, that I can't seem to sell it, even though it's a struggle to use sometimes. It's certainly limiting. The files are sublime though. I guess I've always been one of those people who isn't happy until I have to jump a hurdle to get a shot though. I could sell all of this smaller gear and opt for a beautiful Nikon D810 and be done with it. I'm older. My eyesight isn't the best, and my neck and back are toasted, hence the desire for smaller gear. As the gear gets smaller, the issues get more annoying.
Sigma DP3M

Sigma DP3M

Sigma DP3M
Now the Fuji system, speaking of annoying. I first purchased an X-E1 which I sold after a month or two because we just didn't get along. The missed AF focus and the blurred shots, even with the new firmware drove me buts. Loved the feel of the camera. Liked the sharp kit lens, though I wanted primes if I committed to this brand. I didn't like the smearing of files. Since I sold the X-E1, they company has come out with so many more cameras, and they have improved. I love the JPEGS, but they are wasted on me, the perfectionist who needs RAW files to work on. I shoot RAW and JPEG, but rarely use the JPEG. I know many people do. Professionals use the JPEGS. I totally get it. I'm too anxious to use them. I hate wasting all that extra data in the RAW file. Yes, it means more work on the pictures to get it to where I want it, but I am so used to doing this, it's what I do. 
Fuji X-E1
18-55mm F/2.8-4 R LM OIS Kit lens

Fuji X-E1
18-55mm F/2.8-4 R LM OIS Kit lens

Fuji X-E1
18-55mm F/2.8-4 R LM OIS Kit lens

Fuji X-E1
18-55mm F/2.8-4 R LM OIS Kit lens

Fuji X-E1
18-55mm F/2.8-4 R LM OIS Kit lens

Fuji X-E1
18-55mm F/2.8-4 R LM OIS Kit lens

Fuji X-E1
18-55mm F/2.8-4 R LM OIS Kit lens

Fuji X-E1
18-55mm F/2.8-4 R LM OIS Kit lens

Fuji X-E1
18-55mm F/2.8-4 R LM OIS Kit lens

Fuji X-E1
18-55mm F/2.8-4 R LM OIS Kit lens


Anyway, I tried and X-Pro 1, hated the OVF. I couldn't see what I was focusing on. I like the ergonomics, but I sold it. 
Fuji X-Pro 1

I already had the X-T10 with 35mm F/2 WR Lens. The ergonomics on that for grip are crap. I added the expensive external grip, it is sufficient to hold almost, but now makes the camera noticeably bigger which defeats the purpose of buying the smaller model. So aggravating, because I had recently sold my Sony A6000 with more megapixels and a lovely grip. I could hold that camera in  on hand all day long. It was a joy to hold. The menus on that camera that people complain about? Well, I was used to them. I hated the ARW RAW files formats. Drove me nuts. Had to use the Adobe RAW converter before bringing them into CS6, which is just annoying. Still, it was a fun camera to use. I do miss it. I do NOT miss the softness of that kit lens. I miss the focal length of it though. I wish Sony had a better kit lens. If they did, it would be the perfect camera to carry everywhere. The file colors weren't as nice as the Fuji in my opinion though and that is what made me finally drop the brand. I never thought of delving into the A7 series of cameras because APS-C was my sweet spot, the full frame was expensive ,and it defeated the purpose of using smaller cameras. I certainly wasn't going back to a D-SLR and my Nikons were collecting dust in the closet. I almost purchased the better X-T2 because I wanted the feature set, plus more megapixels, and that ACROS setting. Since I really don't shoot JPEGs and am good at monochrome conversions, I couldn't honestly use that as an excuse to spend $1599 on that camera. I could use the extra megapixels and better features. I read somewhere that the better sensor gets rid of the waxy look on files. Not sure if that is true. I like the lenses of the Fuji better than Sony's line-up.
Sony A6000
16-50mm Kit Lens

Sony A6000
16-50mm Kit Lens

Sony A6000
16-50mm Kit Lens

Sony A6000
16-50mm Kit Lens

Sony A6000
16-50mm Kit Lens

Sony A6000
16-50mm Kit Lens
 
The Sony A6000 B&W files (converted from RAW) look good. The color files, not so much. 

Here are some Fuji files with the new 23mm F/2 WR Lens below. I am getting used to that focal length again. 
Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

This is my favorite shot from this lens. I don't know why.
Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens

Fuji X-T10
23mm F/2 WR Lens
I'm still getting used to this lens. I'm still on the fence about Fuji. It ticks a lot of boxes, but I'm still frustrated with the camera itself. I want more megapixels in the X-T2. Not sure if I want to invest that much more money into it. I am trying to whittle down the gear. I still use my Ricoh GR, Sony RX100V &  Leica D-Lux 4 a lot too. I can't sell all of these to keep one brand. because each piece of gear is good for different reasons. I don't know that there is an answer. I wish there was one brand. I'd stick with it. I love Ricoh's GR series, but miss an EVF viewfinder, and tilting screen. I would also miss a dedicated sharp zoom lens and the ability to change lenses. The smaller compacts come in handy because they are small but still produce lovely shots, and the Sony produces 4K video. Great in a pinch. It also has a self articulating screen. 

The Ricoh GR shots below. My favorite to carry around all of the time.

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR
in-camera filter

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR

Ricoh GR
in-camera filter used on left. Regular shot on right.

Sony RX100V next. What do you think of the shots below? Are they good enough? I think so. They don't beat the Ricoh GR but for a zoom lens camera that is small and is able to shoot 4K video, it does the job most days.
Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V 

Sony RX100V

Anyway, my point is that it's hard to choose just one camera for every situation. I find it frustrating at best.






1 comment:

  1. Great post! Thanks for sharing. I like Classic finishing’s, high functionality, and compact design of Fujifilm's X Series, this cameras is very good for

    ReplyDelete