Saturday, March 2, 2013

Fuji X-E1 Final Results

Okay, read my rant below about this camera.

Low light with the Fuji X-E1 is lovely, if you can get the AF to lock on its subject. I've found it to be kind of slow, it fishes, and cyckes through the whole range. Ugh! Annoying. Shame on Fuji for this!

You'll get some of the best B&W photos out of this camera. I shot color then converted to get more of the information, but the B&W settings in camera are just as lovely and save time. Fuji nails it here.

With extremes in light & shadow, the dynamic range holds better than on compact cameras with smaller sensors. It also does better than the Sony NEX 5. It holds better than the micro thirds Olympus, though fan boys on another site would say otherwise. Don't believe the hype. 

The colors coming out of the Fuji X-E1 are pretty accurate. Not much is needed to correct it. 




Action isn't a Fuji plus. the AF is decidedly slow. So, pre-focus when you can. The Olympus wins in AF speed, if you choose to go for the smaller 4/3rd sensor at a cost of low light shooting. The Fuji BLOWS it away in that regard. So choose your camera by what you shoot. 










I tried an adapter, the Olympus OM-FX adapter. I used an old Olympus OM Zuiko 50mm F/1.8 lens. Pain in the ass to focus in maual with a non-native lens compared to using the Sony NEX 5 with its peak focus, which is a dream.

I'm quite pleased with the way Fuji handles extremes in lighting. Taken with the 18-55mm Fuji Kit lens, which is quite nice.  

Another with the Olympus lens. 


16:9 ratio and the Fuji X-E1. Nice.






Love the B&W files from the Fuji

Colors are no slouch either from this camera.



The AF on the Fuji X-E1 is dog slow. (No pun intended) That's with all of the firmware updates for both lenses and camera body. LOL! Yeah. Uhm, my Sony NEX 5 is much faster. That's saying a lot. It's pretty ridiculous when you think about it. The Fuji people really screwed it up in the AF department. Don't even get me started on the RAW file issues. I think they've finally worked it out that you get all of the information out of the Xtrans sensor via Capture One of Adobe raw converters now. Hmmm... we'll see. (Just a quick side-note: I hear the Olympus OM-D camera is better with the AF, but the sensor on it isn't as nice in low light. Yes, it's true. No matter how much anyone tells you, or whines about it. The Fuji beats the Olympus in low light at high ISOs. that's just a fact. Read Thom Hogan's review on the Olympus. Yes, he chooses the Olympus over the Fuji X series, so it's not like I'm playing favorites here. Fuji has its issues with smearing in files sometimes. Geez, Fuji. Get your act together! By the way, I would love to use an Olympus, but the 4/3rd sensor is going backwards for me now that I've owned so many APS-C sensor cameras. The Olympus menus are a pain in the ass, but the AF is faster than the Fuji. I may need to test one anyway. End Side-Note!)

Anyway, I sold my Fuji X-E1. There were a few things that really pissed me off about this camera. I want to love the Fuji X Series cameras. I really did. The jpeg files coming out of them are the best I've ever seen. But the AF is so annoyingly slow or completely misses, that it's just unforgivable. I still want my X-E1 back. I am hoping that Fuji fixes the AF issues pronto. If they do this before March 31st, I can buy another X-E1 with a few lenses and save a bundle. If they don't, then I am waiting for the next series of APS-C cameras that promise the full package. Which is why I haven't sold my Leica D-Lux 4 or Sony NEX 5. I'm sick of chasing after that perfect camera. Wait and see.

I've had so many cameras go through my hands that hit the nail on the head on one feature, and fail miserably on another. It's like a plot to keep us buying. I don't want to play this game anymore. I've kept my Leica D-Lux 4 with its small sensor and high noise past ISO 800, because I love the lens. I've kept the Sony NEX 5 with its crappy kit lenses, because I love the files in low light. One of these camera companies will eventually stop playing these stupid retail games and give me what I want in a camera. I'd like a fast kit lens with fast prime options on an APS-C retro-style camera. Fuji is the closest to that. Fix the AF, Fuji! For crying out loud! How do these big companies get away with such a fault?

Anyway, my rant has ended.


No comments:

Post a Comment