Sunday, July 10, 2011

Leica D-Lux 4 Camera & Sony NEX 5

I have been using it less and less these days due to the Sony NEX 5 camera. Now, this is a matter of convenience while I was moving to Arizona from Connecticut. I still love the little Leica D-Lux 4. Here's why: The Leica lens is better and sharper than the Sony lenses. I love how the Leica lens renders things sharp, as the Sony lenses can run a bit soft. The Leica lens is faster too, compared to my 18-55mm zoom on the Sony. (The D-Lux 5 has the option of a longer zoom range to 90mm too.) I do like the better sensor in the Sony though. I have to admit to that. One thing that Sony needs to do is allow for a square format. They added some fun filters in an update, but to me, the square format is a must in these small compacts. I love the variety of framing the Leica camera has and wish the X1 had it. (No, I don't own one. LOL!) The X1 has a nice APS-C sensor, like the Sony, but at 2K, it's ridiculous for what it doesn't have. Still, the lenses on the Leica cameras are so much nicer than the Sony NEX. A remedy for this would be for those Carl Zeiss lenses to come out! Hello, Sony? Wake-up! Where are the lenses?

Another option is to use different glass on the Sony. Yes, with an adapter, you can use Leica lenses, but in MF only. If Leica made a CL version, something cheaper than the M, but better than the X1, I'd be all over it. Maybe Nikon, Sony or Canon will do it. Leica had better watch out. Still some of the Leica gear, such as their lenses are just so lovely, but not many people have that kind of cash. Or you have the cash but can't justify that kind of purchase, like me. All I can see is Suze Orman screaming at me. LOL!

Okay, so I still adore my Leica D-Lux 4 for it's unique way of capturing shots. It's dynamic B&W setting is superb, and the shots taken up to ISO 400 and sometimes ISO 800 are still beautiful. Oh, and there's a flash attached. Sony's flash is detachable and I've NEVER used it due to its superb low light capabilities. Let's be fair though. The Leica S-Lux sensors are so small in comparison to the Sony. So, what do you want? Do you want a beautiful rendering with sharper lens and square format on the Leica? the Leica makes a great street photography tool. Or do you want the low light capabilities of the Sony when you need it? Well, I'm keeping both cameras. No one camera is perfect. Each has it's own pluses and minuses. What I would LOVE to see is that Leica would revise the X1 with all the cool stuff the D-Lux has, an OVF and then I'd get one. Meanwhile, the Leica and Sony stay with me. (Now, you can also get a Canon S95 and have an even more pocketable cameras, or even the Ricoh GRD III. Both are wonderful cameras. But, the build quality on the S95 is a bit cheaper. There are some lovely compacts out there. Go out and shoot.


You can keep track of my Ozzy project HERE on Flickr or HERE on ZENDOG Blog. I alos have the first 365 days of this project on 365Project Website.


Thorne's Market
Ramona






Bubble Boy




23 comments:

  1. nice photography blog! it was really helpful site for me :) thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, CPI! Thanks for the kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear ZenGirlie. Really liked to read this blog. I have a question. I'm a studen't and therefor kinda broke. I have the option of buying a Leica D-lux 3 camera for about 120 dollars. I'm going back to Shanghai, and I'd like to take some nice street art photos at night in the neon lights, so I need a camera that can do that for me without being to big and clumbsy. I'm considering though, to get a used D-lux 4 or a used Sony Nex5 camera. But then again I'm going to have to put some more money in it, and 120 dollars for the Leica D-lux 3 seems like a good price. I'm soo not sure about anything. What do you think? I'm an artist -musician and I really like cool noir style photos, but I'm a know-nothing when it comes to cameras. When I take photos I usually like to take some noir setting cool pictures, and those just do not work out their best with normal digital cameras. Do you think the Leica D-lux 3 would be an option for me?
    Hope to hear from you. :)
    Love
    Ida

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of those cameras will work fine. I think that the Sony NEX 5 is much better in terms of its sensor, but the kit lenses are not as sharp or nice as the Leica. Still, the files are bigger and can be blown up larger. The D-Lux 3 is older than the D-Lux 4, and if you can swing it, I'd opt for the D-Lux 4 only because it is the improved model. I'm sure it isn't much more improved, but one doesn't know how long digital cameras last and what they've been through with previous owners. Get what you can afford though and don't go into debt over it. So, any one of those cameras would be sufficient. Go with what features you like and if blowing up files past 8X10 isn't something you will do then go with either the D-Lux 3 or 4. If you want to make a bit bigger, then the NEX 5 can do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for your most kind reply. It was a big help for me actually :)
      I'm now looking into the fuji x10. little brother of the x100. The d-lux 3 is gone now, it was sold to someone faster then me :)
      again thanks. I'm a total newbie to manual cameras. I'm not even sure I'd know how to work them and if they're too hard to find out. I'm going to have to use youtube or etc.
      Love
      Ida

      Delete
  5. Love your photos by the way. Really nice poster-like. :)
    Love
    Ida

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    I've owned the Fuji X10 and it is a bit better sensor-wise than the Leica D-Lux series. It also has a off viewfinder which is good to have on those sunny days when the glare won't allow you to see the LCD screen. It's a cool camera. The only reason I didn't keep it was because I already had the D-Lux 4 and a Canon S95.

    I just pre-ordered the Fuji XE-1 which has an APS-C sensor like the Sony and is about the size of a Fuji X100, but features like the Fuji X Pro 1.

    Good luck in your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OVF viewfinder, not off viewfinder. Type correction on the blog. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so you chose the D-lux 4 over the fuji x10, as that camera was enough? Very nice to know :)
      I'm thinking of sending you some photos, when I've got the camera. I'll see what I'm ending up with. I'm trying to make a deal these days :) Could be fun! Where are you located btw? Denmark here :)
      Ida

      Delete
    2. I am located in the USA, in Arizona.

      Delete
  8. The only reason I chose the D-Lux 4 over the Fuji X10 is because I already owned the D-Lux 4. If I had to choose not having owned either, I'd choose the bigger sensor, the Fuji X10.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh so I just logged in now, so that I'm not mr. anonymous anymore^^, but thanks again. I'm kinda waiting to get an offer on an X10. And in the meantime I found another D-lux 3. A new one though.Not used. The gentleman wants 244 dollars for it. What do you think? He needs a response now. And it's a not used before D-lux 3, and it's way less than the X10. Is it hard to use the D-lux series? Are they user friendly? I have the visions but I definitely do not have the knowledge, as I've never maneuvered a manual cam before. I'm thinking of going for it, and then saving up to get the x10. then I can play with both within a few months. Don't know if I'm being silly now. And sorry for sounding a bit mental! :D It's just when being a student, the cash are short :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So lovely that you are in Arizona btw! Loved your pictures in black and white with the Fuji x10! So melancholic and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know much about the D-Lux 3, but if you have your heart set on it, go for it. Is this person honest that you're buying from? Try to chew him down a bit. It's not hard to use any digital camera. It just takes time to go through menus. The lens on both cameras are awesome. the D-Lux 3 has a smaller sensor than the Fuji X10. If that doesn't matter to you, then go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay point noted. I have an offer on a 3 months old x10 for 524 usd and it's kind'of alot for me at the time. I dont have my heart set on the d-lux 3 actually, but I just see it an oportunity to maybe get a cam with which I'll be able to take some nice black and white pictures in wide angle with without spending a fortune. But I guess maybe those 244 usd could be spared and I could save for the x10. :)

      Delete
  12. Like I said, if I were buying either one right now, I have to choose the Fuji X10. Reason being is the available viewfinder and the bigger sensor. But only you know what you'd like. Your heart will tell you. The D-Lux 3 is a nice camera too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Read this: http://www.boxedlight.com/dlux3/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. those look beautiful! Really like them. I dont have photoshop though. But will probably get that too. I love the silver effects and etc. Look so fantastic. I got him down to 224.

      Delete
    2. Hi ZenGirlie! I ended up buying the X10! It was the one I truly wanted, so as my birthday is coming up soon my boyfriend gave me half the money of the x10 as my bd-gift, and that way it was possible for me to get it! SOOOO happy about that. And greatest birthday gift ever! Can't wait to get it! Thx for your advice! your black and white pictures with the x10 really turned me over completely. I had to get it.
      Love

      Delete
  14. Hi,

    I'm very happy for you. Enjoy the camera. It's lovely. I get my Fuji XE-1 in a month. I'm excited too. When you get some shots on the web, send me a link. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete