Thursday, December 30, 2010

Leica D-Lux 4 & Canon S95

Canon S95 16:9 ratio
Canon S95 16:9 ratio
Canon S95 1:1 ratio
Canon S95 1:1 ratio
Canon S95 16:9 ratio 
Canon S95 1:1 ratio
Canon S95 1:1 ratio
Canon S95 1:1 ratio
Leica D-Lux 4 1:1 ratio
Leica D-Lux 4 1:1 ratio
Everyone knows I love the square format on this camera. I tried out a Canon S95, which had all of the same size ratios, including the square format. I figured the S95 would be more pocketable, (it is), and could replace the D-Lux 4, (it can't.) I'm sorry but the S95 feels like a toy compared to the D-Lux 4, and though it may have a slight edge in having less noise at higher ISOs, the D-Lux is more robust in build, a bit faster in AF, and seems to render files more realistic in color. I would imagine the D-Lux 5 is about the same or better for files as the S95 in low-light, but I'm sure it's even faster than the Canon in AF speed. I liked the small size of the S95 though. Oh, and the little feature on it that miniaturizes everything. Kind of cool. I couldn't keep both cameras though, and frankly have a bond with the D-Lux camera. The Leica is much better built. The Canon is more compact. I sent the Canon S95 back. I do like Canon compacts though. It's just that this one actually felt cheaper in build than my old Canon SD800, which has an Optical Viewfinder! Sad, huh? That's the way it is nowadays though. No optical viewfinders on these cameras. Now, if I never owned the Leica, I wouldn't know about its build or wonderful sharp, accurate color files, and would have kept the Canon S95. Let's face it, the retractable lens on the S95 is awesome. No dealing with detachable Lens caps. Quite frankly, Leica could have dealt with this issue in the new D-Lux 5 camera, but didn't. That's my only gripe about this camera! (Though I do wish they had that little miniature feature too, like the Canon S95!) (All of these shots have had either Photoshop or Exposure 3 added. Also, most of these shots were shot in ISO 1600, 800 & 400 range.) 


Update: 11-11-11 
I was a bit harsh on the little Canon S95. For what it is, it's an awesome camera. The files from it are lovely, though not quite as good in dynamic range as the D-Lux 4. I ended up buying one again, so that my sister would be able to use a digital camera on her trips. Why didn't I just let her use my Leica D-Lux 4 or Sony NEX 5? To tell you the truth, I think she would go nuts trying to use the Leica D-Lux 4 with its annoying lens cap and metering issues. She would keep it in Auto mode, but the cap would drive her nuts. I know, because it drives me nuts. I put up with it because I know what this camera can do for its sensor size. It has a lovely lens. The Canon S95 is more pocketable. I know my sister loves that concept. The D-Lux 4 isn't. The Sony definitely isn't. I knew she wouldn't want to deal with the Sony due to size and the menus. The Canon S95 is perfect for someone who just wants to shoot on Auto, and it still has that manual capability. I like it a lot for the RAW and the Auto settings too. I usually shoot with it in manual though. It has a different file signature than the Leica D-Lux 4. I like it. The Leica has the edge, even with its annoying meter and cap. Still, I was too harsh on the Canon S95. It wasn't too long ago that I adored a Canon SD800 camera. It had a small viewfinder, but it had one. The Canon S95 is about the same size. So, it comes in handy when I just want to have fun with no pressure. It's perfect for that. The Leica on Auto is also fun, but again, the cap...argh! 


So, I have both cameras. My sister took some lovely shots with the Canon S95 on her trip back to Connecticut and to Sedona, Arizona. Isn't that what it's all about? HAving a camera with you at all times? DOn't even get me started on the iPhone. LOL!



You can keep track of my Ozzy project HERE on Flickr or HERE on ZENDOG Blog. I alos have the first 365 days of this project on 365Project Website.


12 comments:

  1. nice blog man!! as always, im following and supporting :)

    www.money-samir.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all you say about the S95 and can add that in my experience the D-Lux 5 beats it in low light performance. By the way, I have now put the Panasonic 24 mm optical viewfinder on my 5 and really like it. It is marked up for 3:2 which is my usual format and the glass stays on the 5 all the time. I just cannot enjoy the Leica evf, although it does of course have the benefit of taking the zoom into account. Outlaw Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I was going to ask you about the optical viewfinder. I have a D-Lux 4 and would like to use the OV on mine. Will the Panasonic 24mm fit on a D-Lux 5?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean will it fit on a D-Lux 4? I think that the answer has to be yes, although I have not actually tried it on one. It just slips into the flash shoe and on the 5 it doesn't interfere with the internal flash popping up and I would think that the same would have to be true for the 4. It is not a perfect view of what you will record even at 24 mm because of parallax, etc., and because it is only something like 83% coverage. However, this means that you get some 'safety zone' around what you see through the finder and so you can later crop to exact requirement if you want. I am really pleased with it. This is the Panasonic DMW- VF1.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to add that if you like I could take a photo or two of it and post on my flickr account.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, take a picture and leave a link here so I can connect to it. I would appreciate that. I know about the viewfinder only being used at its widest angle. I wish the D-Lux 5 fixed the lens cap issue but Leica left it the same. I was thinking of updating to the D-Lux 5, but I don't know that there is much difference, and the LX5 is cheaper. You do get Lightroom with it though. I like the smaller size of the D-Lux 5 over the LX5 though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43005719@N06/5323786709/

    Does the above link work to the most recent of 6 photos of my D-Lux 5 with viewfinder?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes it worked. I saw a picture of your viewfinder. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good. I will probably delete all but the one I have put in my 'daily photo' collection (inspired by your own projects!). By the way, I forgot to mention that the viewfinder does not have a diopter adjustment. On the plus side, I can use it fine with contacts and glasses (spectacles, whatever you guys say your side of the Pond).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for showing me the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's funny because I ended up buying another Canon S95, so my sister could use it. I knew she'd be irritated by the Leica D-Lux 4 lens cap and other things about the camera. She just wanted to point the damn thing and shoot it. LOL! So, I get to play with the Canon S95 still, and I like it more and more for a fun camera. the Leica D-Lux 4 is quirky compared to the Canon in using it. I do like the files better most of the time on the Leica. The Canon S95 shots don't seem as nice, but I'll tell you what, the camera is a breeze to use, and sometimes that's all we need.

    ReplyDelete