Thursday, September 16, 2010

Leica D-Lux 4: Ozzy


I was playing with the Leica D-Lux 4 the last few days. I sold my Leica M8.2 to pay off Ozzy's surgery bills. I still have the D-Lux 4, the Leica M6 and two Leica lenses. Once things get settled I may upgrade to a M9 or get another M8.2. Not certain. It's not like I was in love with the M8.2, but I did enjoy the files that came out of it on occasion. I think that has more to do with the superb lenses than the digital camera body itself though. If there was a way to put my M lenses on my Nikon D90, I'd do it. I think there is a way to put Leica R lenses on it, but I don't have any R lenses. LOL!

Meanwhile, I have been using the Leica D-Lux 4 as using the Nikon D90 all the time with the 50mm lens is becoming kind of dull for me. I've thought of getting the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 lens to have some variety, but am holding off on that purchase. I'm using the Leica D-Lux 4 camera at its widest angle instead. The files may not be as clean, but they'll suffice. I like the quality of file that comes out of the D-Lux 4. If Leica made a small p&s with a fast zoom lens and a higher IQ, maybe even higher than the X-1, I'd bet many people would jump on it. But then they'd lose money on their used M8s and new M9 cameras. Oh well.

Two Bones

Close-Up

Just me and my shadow...

Still favoring that back leg.

In your face!

Playing with light & shadow.

More playing with light & shadow.

Close-Up

The light is very bright in the morning when I shoot, so I have to embrace the lights and darks. I try not to blow out the highlights, but it's hard to do in such contrasty situations. I'm still quite pleased with the results.

I do miss the M8.2, though I haven't been using it much. It's easier to use the Nikon D90 for the Ozzy project. For all non-moving subjects, it was much more fun and creative to use the Leica camera. I don't know why that is either. It's certainly not easier. LOL! There's just something about the feel of the camera and those lovely lenses. Even the little D-Lux 4 camera has a wonderful body construction. It doesn't feel cheap. My Canon G9 is similar, but not as solid. I do like the Canon G9 for it's size though. It is big enough that I won't drop it, yet small enough to bother carrying it. The D-Lux 4 can be a tad slippery at times, even with the wrist strap on. There is something about the files though. I love them. Not as much as the M8.2, but it has a different signature. The Canon has a nice signature to it also. I know that sounds odd, but I got some great pictures out of that little bugger. I'm glad I still have it and use it!

Meanwhile, my dog is healing. That little shit cost me a bundle at the Vet's Office with his surgery, pills, and yearly visit. Oh well. He can't be replaced. A camera certainly can. Ozzy is a special dog. He's kind of like the Leica camera. He is as precious as that. It's all about his outlook on life, and attitude. I've never met or owned a dog quite like him. Strange too, because I've owned so many dogs over the years, and I've always thought that each one was the best one, until the next one came along. I don't think there could possibly be a dog to top Ozzy in character, humor, zen, playfulness, and genuinely angelic. I'm so glad I decided, (though a bit late- two months after I got him) to start a 365 project on him. I wish I did it sooner, but at least he was a puppy when I started it!

As for the contrasty, light&shadow pictures, I'm very happy with them. Especially after reading the used book I just got on Richard Gibson! Now all I want to do is photograph Ozzy in very contrasty situations. LOL!



You can keep track of my Ozzy project HERE on Flickr or HERE on ZENDOG Blog. I alos have the first 365 days of this project on 365Project Website.


2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    You had not posted new articles in these few weeks, so I was worried that your lovely Ozzy might be in a serious condition. I am very happy Ozzy is recovering now!
    I am very sorry for your poor M.8.2, but I would do the same thing if my dog became ill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, MAKI. Ozzy is doing fine. It's just a lot of physical therapy for him. I had a love/hate relationship with the Leica M8.2. I think it's due to my wanting the M9 originally and settling for the M8.2. It's actually quite a lovely camera. It was in mint condition too. I sold it to a guy in MA who will use it well. I still would like a digital M, but am so overwhelmed with other things right now. I'm debating about selling the M6 I own as well and just hold out for another digital M, but I still have loads of film to shoot. I haven't had the time to do anything but his one picture per day, which I post on Flickr and 365project.org. I also have another blog with loads of Ozzy photos. I use the Nikon D90 mostly for that project. It's easier. I also use the Leica D-Lux 4. The M8.2 was fine outside, but the low light was a bit noisy. Still it held as well as the D90 up to ISO 640. Then it started to get cruddy. It was very difficult, if not impossible to get Ozzy in the full frame of the M8.2 due to the limitations of the lenses getting close. Now, if Ozzy were a Great Dane, it wouldn't be a problem. LOL! Still, I like the concept of the Leica Digital M. I just think they're expensive, and not quite there yet.I would love to shoot with a M9 though. One day.

    ReplyDelete