Friday, May 28, 2010

Testing the Leica D-Lux 4









I just received the Leica D-Lux 4 camera yesterday and tried it out quickly. I must say I'm impressed by the size of this camera. I was expecting it to be the size of my Canon G9, but it's smaller than that. It's almost as small as my Canon SD800. I love the shooting ratios. I can shoot square, regular, and wide at 16:9. The camera can shoot both RAW and JPEG files, which is very important to me. The deciding factor between this and the higher IQ Olympus EPL-1, EP-2 or Panasonic GF-1 4/3 camera was the size, the ability to zoom or macro, flash, and the different ratio settings. Too cool. So, I give up a bit of IQ for portability and variety of functions. I hear through the different groups that the Leica D-Lux 4 and its Twin, the Panasonic LX-3 have better IQ than the Canon G9, G10, G11 series. We shall see. I will eventually compare a few shots. I'm not a techno weenie, just someone who either loves a design or doesn't, so don't expect me to be too techie when I compare these cameras. I'm all about aesthetics or feng shui of the camera. If it has the best useable design features, I fall in love with the camera. If it's clunky, I don't. I adore the little Canon SD800. It was a blast to use. it didn't have the best IQ, but it was always fun to take pictures with that camera. The Canon G9 is a beautiful camera too, but it was much slower in its auto focusing that it drove me nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment