Monday, May 24, 2010

Leica M8.2 Outdoors


Flowers





While I was walking Ozzy around the yard, I noticed the flowers had bloomed and the lighting was still useable, so I broke out the M8.2 for a few shots. I used the 35mm Summicron 2.0 ASPH lens. I know I should at some point try the 50mm Summicron lens on this camera, to see how it fares at 65mm due to the 1.3 crop factor. I wonder how close I can get with it in comparison to the 35mm cron? Some other time. Again, the first thing I noticed is that I can't get macro shots. Duh! I can't get quite close enough. The lens isn't made for that. I took scenic shots instead and the colors were close, but not accurate. It's my fault. I should have set the white balance, but forgot, and it was set to Auto. No worries. I fixed it in Photoshop. Next time, I will be aware of the white balance choices. Having a manual camera really keeps me on my toes. I love how the M8.2 produces lovely files. (Yes, even in low-light up to a point.) I haven't truly gotten to know this camera, and was going to bail on it when I bought the Leica M6. I figured due to cost & guilt, I couldn't keep both, but decided to wait a bit. I really didn't give the camera a fair play when I stumbled upon the M6 on Ebay. (Damn that Ebay!) This blog was originally started for the M8.2, to tell people what I thought about it.

At this point I have to say it's a "love and hate" relationship. I love the files this camera produces up to a certain ISO. I hate how everything is manual at times. Let's face it. I'm spoiled with automatic focus, and that's the hardest part to get used to is all of the missed shots due to my slow focus skills. Once I master that, or get the diopter finder to help out my eyes, the manual focus may not be such a big deal. I honestly love auto focus. I don't mind setting everything else on my camera, but AF is a luxury to me.

I almost set the M8.2 up for failure by trying to shoot action and low light, like this camera is a Nikon. LOL! My fault. I have to realize that each camera has its own strengths and weaknesses. There is no "one" perfect camera, just like there isn't "one" perfect camera bag. (That's a whole other story!)

No comments:

Post a Comment