Sunday, April 4, 2010

Using The Leica M8.2 in Northampton


Okay, so I decided to bring the Leica M8.2 along to Northampton, Massachusetts. I was concerned about people staring at the camera, as it's expensive, but I didn't need to worry. Not one person bothered with my picture taking, and I know that if I brought the Nikon, there would be people asking me all sorts of questions about the camera. Not one person bothered me about this camera. No one noticed it as anything but some simple point & shoot. Kind of cool actually.


Window Shopping



It was very sunny when I took these shots of this panhandler and his dog. Read his sign. Then read on.


One thing I'll never understand is why someone who is healthy chooses to be a bum, begging for money, and then drag a poor dog along with them. (In the last few years, this seems to be the new wave of things in Northampton, Massachusetts). I'm about to rant. I can feel it. Anyway, the lighting was too contrasty. It was around one o'clock when I took this. The worst time to take pictures, but I had no choice. I loved the dog.


An able-bodied panhandler owned this beautiful Australian Cattle Dog. This dog was not happy to be out in the bright sunlight. The panhandlers were begging for money, which I found quite obnoxious, because they were making fun of people as they passed by while doing this. These were able-bodied young people who had signs that said "Tell Us Off $1.00 Donations". As I was taking pictures, the owner of this dog was talking with his buddy, making fun of people under his breath. So, not only were they begging for money, but they were rude about it, and expected a handout. It was so cruddy to observe this. I loved the dog though. I owned an Australian Cattle Dog named Tillie for 14 plus years. She died in 2008. The breed is super intelligent. If this dog were smart, she'd run off with another owner. It's a shame that bums have dogs, when they can't even take care of themselves. Now, a homeless person is different altogether. They have had a run of crap luck. These were panhandling bums who had no health issues other than an aversion to work. Okay, I'm done with my rant. When I was done taking pictures, this guy commented to me: "Hey, do I get some money for letting you take a picture of my dog?" I threw a quarter into the pot. The shots were super contrasty anyway. (I wish i could have taken that poor dog home with me).


Busy streets.


The streets were crowded due to the nice weather. This is in front of Ten Thousand Villages. My sister and I always visit this store. This time, it was for a present for her best friend's birthday.


I love photographing in Northampton, Massachusetts.



Another shot I converted to black and white then colored one part back in.


A black and white version of the streets of Northampton, and the original color version after it.



I love coloring in a black and white photo.


My favorite street shot. I was holding up my camera when this man walked by and waved both arms in the air. Cool.


Wrapping paper from the store Essentials in Northampton, Massachusetts.


I love paper. These were different wrapping papers found at Essentials on Main Street in Northampton, Massachusetts. It's a very expensive store.


Shoe wave!


Shoes lined up in a close-up shot.


I converted the shot of my sister Diane to black and white.


My sister Diane joking around for the camera. I think this is hilarious. We were at Paul & Elizabeth's Restaurant waiting for our lunch.


A happy accident. I screwed up the focus on this shot, because I couldn't focus quickly enough to get this man walking in the frame. I knew he was coming, but I wasn't ready. Still, I like the shot.


I played around with painting one of the greeting cards.


My sister's arm reaches out for a card while a man walks by my camera. I like this shot, and I wanted someone to walk by and give the picture that motion effect.

People were taking notice of me photographing. Oops.


My sister is waiting in line in Cornucopia.


This shot was converted to black and white to get a different effect.



The first few shots were taken downstairs in Thorne's Market. I liked the light coming down the stairs. This is the DNG file in color. I used some Photoshop.


My sister and I went to Northampton, Massachusetts to do some light shopping and have lunch. It was a beautiful day, and I decided to bring the Leica M8.2 along with the 35mm Summicron Lens. It was a bit bright when I took these pictures as it was around mid-day, the absolute worst time to take pictures, but I tried the camera anyway. (I notice I still have a difficult time lining up the focus, and I think it's due to my eyes, not the camera malfunctioning.) I got a few useable shots and was happy with the results when I got the focus right. I love AF in a camera, due to my eyes getting strained though. I like having control of shutter speed and aperture, but I'm slow at it.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting photos and blog. My favorite photo is the "Busy Streets" photo. Has a journalistic look to it! I think I may need to get a neutral density filter for those sunny days too. The 1/4000 shutter speed on the M9 isn't fast enough for those sunny days. I hate having to stop down the lens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I love it when the people are walking and they blur out. Wow. The M9 can't handle really sunny days? Who'd a thunk it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The M8 has a 1/8000 shutter speed. Leica reduced it to the 1/4000 in the M8.2 and M9. Stupid idea. I need to get a ND filter, but don't even know how that really works, and which one to get. I'm still getting used to the metering in the M9 too. Not used to doing center weighted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Galen Rowell used to use those all of the time with his Nikon Film cameras. They just showed one of those in my Outdoor Photographer Magazine. They have a Tiffen Polarizer & Singh-Ray ND Filter, which you hold in front of the camera to position it. Do a google search on the latter. Apparently it's good for B&W landscapes. Not so sure about color.

    ReplyDelete