Thursday, March 4, 2010

Leica 90mm Summicron 2.0 E55 Lens



My favorite one of the bunch. I was standing pretty far away for this shot. Amazing.


Okay. Ozzy is asleep. This is just wrong. LOL!


Ozzy is completely bored.


They came out like this. Not too bad, but still needing the IR Filter for the M8.2.



SEE WHAT HAPPENS when you don't use the IR filter on the M8.2? Okay, well this was a joke. The picture really didn't come out like this!


I bought a used "near mint" Leica 90mm Summicron E55 6-bit coded lens from Stan's Tamarkin Camera today. I received it sans the IR filter, because I'm waiting for Leica to send me two free filters from Germany. I took a few shots anyway of my dog Ozzy. Yes, it did show the purple color instead of the blacks due to the lens not having the IR filter. I converted the files to black and white, which made them look better. Who wants a purple dog? LOL!

I'm hoping to use this for portraits, though it won't be a true 90mm. It will be a 117mm lens. A tad longer on the M8.2, but still useable. The lens has a heft to it. It's solid. The focusing is a bit hard to do, but I managed. Once I get the frame lines right, I will see better results.

I'm very happy to be able to use this as a portrait lens. I can't wait to try it out with the IR filter.

Meanwhile, here are a few samples of my dog Ozzy looking quite bored with the whole thing. At least he isn't purple! LOL!

As for the results being better than my Nikon D80 with a 50mm F/1.8 lens? I don't see much difference given the high ISO. That is, until I look at a close-up. The files from the Leica hold a bit less noise at ISO 640 here. But, my captures aren't as good as with the Nikon, because I'm not used to the rangefinder camera or this lens. Once I get better at using this type of system, I'd be curious to see which camera produces better results.

I think if either the 90mm or 35mm lenses are used correctly, the images will prove sharper than the images produced by my Nikon lens. The Leica lenses are that good. It's my fault if the Leica files come out blurry due to my poor focusing skills right now. (I'm a newbie!) Once I nail the focus, the pictures will be intense, I'm sure.

I'm having fun using this system though. It's a complete polar opposite to the usual D-SLR AF cameras.


No comments:

Post a Comment