Monday, February 8, 2010

My Leica Blog

I have been researching the Leica cameras and lenses, hoping to get a Leica M9 and a 50mm Summilux 1.4 ASPH lens. Both are on back order. I've been on the list for both since January 2010. I heard it may be 3-4 months of a wait for these two items. So, I decided to buy a used mint M8.2 and a mint 35mm Summicron 2.0 ASPH 6-bit coded lens. They both arrive tomorrow! I researched for the last few months about the Leica digital. I used to lust after a film leica, either the M7 or M6, but because I really love digital and don't want to shoot too much film anymore, I thought the digital rangefinder would be the more realistic choice. That's until I saw the prices. Holy Crap!

The Leica M9 is 7K just for the body. The lens, which is just as hard to find, is $3695! So, I placed myself on two lists. Then I researched. I finally came to the realization that having NEVER used a Leica system before, seven grand was a lot to spend for a first time user. (I spoke to a few dealers, and one of them actually emailed me to say "starting with a $7000 camera is nuts". I'm tired of compromising; having never bought the pro equipment I've always wanted. It's always been the cheaper models. So, this was a hard pill to swallow. He was right. I don't know if I would like the system. Compromise it is. Even so, a used mint M8.2 isn't cheap! Neither is the 35mm cron lens! Both are used, but still expensive for a blue-collar worker.

Tomorrow I get the camera and lens. Hopefully it will be what Steve Huff calls "The Holy Grail" camera. It won't be all bells and whistles like a pro Nikon system, but the Leica is simpler. I'm looking forward to simple and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment